Monday, March 9, 2009

Relationships

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine added a post to her blog (http://www.hereandhome.blogspot.com/) about a mother's love - about having a grateful heart not only for her children but for all of the gifts that God has given them, and about believing God and that He chose her specifically to care for and guide those children. That got me thinking about my own kids, the many gifts that God as given them, and exactly what God entrusted to me when He chose me to have the privilege of being their mother. I've been thinking about all of the hopes and dreams I have had for them over the years, the worries and fears, the tough times we have gone through together, the many smiles and happy times together, the "discussions with purpose" we've had as they have grown more independent, the hugs and kisses, and so much more... basically, all of the times, good and bad, that came together to create so many memories for us all. I also thought about so many things that seemed to be so consuming or worrisome at the time, that in the bigger picture of things were really not that important. After all, no matter what was going on, celebrations or challenges, God used all of them for good (sometimes it took us awhile to see that, but He was/is always faithful).

So, what about today? With all of the lessons "learned" over the years, you'd think that the things of this world (both material and emotional) would not be a concern. Wrong! In faith, I know that God loves them even more than I do, He wants the very best for them (notice I didn't say He wants them to have an "easy" life!), He has a great purpose for each of them,and He is truly the One who is in control and guiding their steps. I hope and pray that more times than not I am the parent He wants me to be, and that I turn to Him for guidance in leading them. But the overriding question that came to my mind today is what do I really want for my children? When all of the "stuff" in life is cleared away, the main thing that I want for my kids is that they will forever seek to develop their own personal relationships with God, and that everything they do in their life will give glory to God. That's it. So my challenge is in keeping that focus at the center of my choices, decisions, relationships, and everything else related to my children. Somehow I think I'm going to have to ask God for help with that on a regular basis, don't you?!

Another type of relationship has been on my mind today as well. That is the friendship relationships that I am so grateful for in my life. Friends have always been important to me, but those relationships have been especially important to me over the last couple years, and particularly over the last couple of months. I've also discovered that the there is something "different" in the relationship building process when you're part of a group that has Christ at its' center. That may not make sense, but my experience in various small groups is that there just seems to be a connection on a deeper level more quickly than with a "regular" group, even more than in some Bible studies and "church-type" groups. Don't get me wrong... I have some wonderful friends that began in other groups. But I have been blessed to be part of a group recently that has become more important to me than I even realized until lately. Of course, another "great" relationship builder is in going through tough times together. That seems to be the time that we open our eyes and see the "real" friends in our lives; those whom maybe we've been friends with for awhile, but that friendship is taken to a much deeper level as we are able to share the challenges we are facing with each other. Unfortunately, most of us learn to lean on others more when we are struggling than we do in good times (Sounds familiar, doesn't it?! Isn't that when we tend to be the closest to God as well? You don't think that maybe God puts friends in our lives for a reason, do you?!).

The most consistent lessons that God has been teaching me the last couple of years have had to do with surrender and obedience (you probably guessed that in just these last few postings!). I believe that fellowship with others is also an act of obedience - it opens our hearts, enables us to encourage and support each other, teaches us to be vulnerable at times and how to depend on another, provides comfort in the down times and shared joy in the good times, etc., etc., etc.). I am especially grateful for the truest friends who accept me as I am but won't allow me to stay as I am - those who challenge me to be all that God created me for, and who are willing to speak the truth to me in love when I need it, and those who choose to walk side by side with me in this journey that we are taking with the Lord. Who could ask for more?!

1 comment: