Thursday, March 26, 2009

Whose Lives Are You Touching?

I've had this post on my mind since last Friday, but I have been blessed with a lot of 'wonderful chaos' the last few days and have not taken the time to write it. My husband and I went to a dinner on Friday to celebrate a good friend's retirement from the Air Force after 29 years of service to his country. It was great to see him and his wife and share their joy as they begin this new chapter of their lives. His friends had put together an awesome slide show, and several of his coworkers gave funny and heartfelt presentations - we had a great time!

But the thing that kept coming to my mind is how many people's lives he had touched during the course of his career. Many were there to celebrate with them, but I know there are hundreds if not thousands of others that have had the pleasure to know him over the years. Of course, he has impacted people's lives in very big ways and through very significant military programs. But what stood out to me the most were the "little things" that he is remembered for: the way he made sure he shook every person's hand every time he met them; his sense of humor; his leadership; the day-to-day things that he did for people that were over and above the call of duty, and that showed them that he truly cared about them; how he could take charge and get the job done, but also enjoy the process, and help others to enjoy the process as well; the way he made sure that every single person in that room knew how much he appreciated them being part of his life; the love he showed for his family and his friends; the way he made everyone feel special; the very real appreciation that he showed for each person taking time to share that event with him; basically, how he made each and every person a better person because they knew him.

So the question that came to my mind was, "What kind of impact am I making on the lives of those who I come in contact with?". Am I taking time to show my appreciation for the people in my life? Am I an example of "enjoying the process", no matter what path God has me on at the time? Am I showing God's love to my friends, family, coworkers, and others who cross my path? Do I take time to make others feel special just because they're them? Can others tell by my words and my actions that I am living my life for Christ? Am I doing everything I can to take them on that journey with me, and help move them closer to God? Do people feel better or worse after spending time with me? Are people better off because they know me?

I hope this doesn't come across as if "it's all about me" because that is certainly not my intent. In fact, I'm asking myself tonight (or I should say this morning!), "Am I truly living my life to be "all about Jesus", and putting others first in my life as He would have me do?" I want to leave a legacy for my children and my children's children; not necessarily a monetary legacy, but a legacy of faith, of love, and of being the type of person who does what is right and makes other people feel better about themselves, whether anyone notices or not.

I don't have the answers to any of those questions, but I pray that by continually asking myself these types of questions (and counting on the Lord to help me), I will stay focused on the "little things" that are oh so important! After all, when I get down to it, my job is pretty simple... love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love my neighbor as myself, right?! And thankfully, the Lord will guide me every step of the way to do both of those things, if I only ask Him.

And in case I haven't told you lately... YOU are special, and I appreciate you!

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely making an impact for Christ. Your love for Him is so evident in your post and the fact that your mind is set on Him and not yourself really shines through. Making an impact for Him is a great form of praise to Him. Great post!

    ReplyDelete