Thursday, March 12, 2009

Be An Encourager!

I was thinking today about a funny thing that my almost 5 year old said a couple of weeks ago, and it got me wondering about how much I encourage (or discourage!) those around me. I had been attempting to straighten some things up around the house, and was having my son, Kevin, put away some of his toys in his room. He was doing a great job, and without any arguing, when he all of a sudden called to me from upstairs. When I asked him what he wanted, he said, "Mom, will you say 'Go, Kevin, Go! Go, Kevin, Go!'?!" So, of course, I cheered him on! Afterall, I am his biggest fan! It kind of became a joke with my husband and me and our two other kids, and also with some friends and coworkers that we shared the story with. I don't know how many people we have cheered on saying, "Go, _____, Go! Go, _____, Go!"!

So I got to thinking today about how important encouraging each other is in our lives. Granted, we may not go around asking others to 'cheer us on', but don't we all appreciate it and feel better when someone encourages us in some way or recognizes something that we've done? More importantly, how great do we feel when we have the privilege of being an encouragement to someone else? What about our relationship with Christ, and our purpose in Him? Isn't part of our commitment to Him making others glad in God? After all, most of the world is negative and beaten down; if we are to be in the world but not of the world, shouldn't we show a different testimony to the Lord by being positive and uplifting? I've learned that most people are lonely, afraid, or suffering through some type of painful situation that's invisible to the rest of the world. You never know (and you may never know) what that one compliment, thank you, encouraging word, or act of kindness could mean to someone whom God puts in your path!

I'm preparing to go on my first missions trip to Reynosa, Mexico this summer. One of the things I ran across as I have started to prepare for this trip is not to be discouraged if you don't see lives "changed" while you are serving others on a missions trip. Our job is to plant seeds of faith and show the love of Christ to others - God will take care of the rest! Sometimes we may be one of the people who crosses their path and plants a seed, sometimes we may water the seeds that others have planted, and other times we may be one who is reaping the harvest - but remember, the harvest can't come if the seeds aren't planted.

So I am asking God to show me what He wants me to do or say to be a blessing to others. I'm praying for my eyes to be opened to opportunities to recognize and encourage others, and that I make the effort to act on what God shows me. I'm going to make a conscious effort to give compliments at every opportunity I get; if I am grateful to someone or notice something positive about them, I'm not keeping that to myself, I'm going to tell them. I love sending cards and notes to people and I do that quite a bit now, but I am committing to sending those to a lot more people for a lot more reasons (Who doesn't love getting a hand-written note of encouragement or thanks?!). And who knows... if someone's life is touched by someone noticing them and going the extra mile to encourage them, their heart may be opened just a little more to allow in the One who can really change their life!

So... this one's for you: "Go, friend, Go! Go, friend, Go!" Who needs your encouragement today?

No comments:

Post a Comment